I remembered seeing a recipe not too long ago requiring something I haven't done in ages and that is transfer from stove to oven. I thought I'd try my own version with what I had on hand.
This is a stove to oven bake recipe, so you'll need a cast iron or oven and stove friendly pan equivalent.
If ever you want something decadent, incredibly fast and easy for dinfast, this is it. Not something to indulge in a lot, but definitely something to do every once in a while as a treat.
*The key to getting this perfect is to leave it in the oven just enough to thicken the egg whites. Then one more minute to melt that cheese into everything. Overcooking is EASY to do, so keep a look out.
The contrast of crispiness that my lodge cast iron creates, along with the moistness from being baked in butter is amazing. I would highly recommend you do this with cast iron. Get those potatoes nice and browned prior to oven cooking.
This was so sinfully good. I don't think i've used this much butter in one recipe in years haha but it was worth it. The rest of the weeks to come will undoubtedly be filled with veggies, sans butter and cheese for a while. I think my body has to recover from all this yummy artery clogging goodness.
- 1 Can of small potatoes. I used Libby's.
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 tblspoons butter
- Small handful of chopped onions
- 2 tspn paprika
- 1 tbspn dried cilantro
- 1 tbspn minced garlic
- 2 cracks from pepper-mill or to taste
- A few pinches of salt
- 3 eggs
- Half cup Gardein veggie crumbles (meat substitute) (Optional, but sooo good) I eat meat, but I try to stay away from beef and this is my favorite substitute.
Special tools needed:
Cast iron pan or other stove to oven pan.
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. Heat the cast iron on med-high heat. Drop 3 tblspoons of butter into pan.
3. While the butter is heating up, chop the potatoes into bite size pieces.
4. When the butter is all melted, add the potatoes.
5. Then add the cilantro, paprika, garlic. salt and pepper. Mix this up
6. Cook the potatoes until browned. Keep a close eye so you don't over cook.
7. Then add the onions and veggie crumbles.
8. Once everything is cooked and browned, dig out 3 empty areas for each egg yolk to go into. Let the yolk flow over the rest of the ingredients.
9. Turn off the stove heat and transfer the pan to the preheated oven.
10. Cook 9-11 minutes or until the egg whites have thickened but do not let them harden.
12 Once melted, take out of the oven and immediately serve nice and hot.
Enjoy this comfort food for dinfast or breakfast. It is perfect for that cheesy carby craving on a cold night or morning.
This post is in accordance with FTC guidelines. I was not compensated for anything to do this recipe. Thanks for stopping by!