Saturday, April 2, 2011

Sun dried tomato "Bagelet"



This morning I was about to cook my normal run of the mill breakfast, with little deviations here and there, and thought. "You know what, I'm just going to cook it all together and see what happens." Enter the Sun dried tomato, Bagelet. (Bagel-Omelet)


Ingredients:
1 Tbsp of unsalted butter
1 tsp of garlic
1 tsp of Mrs. Dash (It's my fast go to when I want a punch of herbs that I don't have fresh. It's also great, as it doesn't contain any added salt)
2 eggs or 1 cup of egg whites (I used Market Pantry, as it’s all I had at the time)
1 Market Pantry part-skim mozzarella string cheese (I used String cheese, for the same reason as above, and it’s cheaper. Nothing holds a candle to fresh mozzarella, but this makes a great alternative when on a budget.)
Handful of julienne cut, sun dried tomatoes
1/2 cup raw organic baby spinach
1 Tbsp of tomato sauce
2 Thomas bagel thin slices
2 cracks of sea salt
Sprinkle of Parmesan cheese



Recipe:
Normally, I put my bagel in the oven and fry up some scrambled eggs or an omelet, while I wait.  This time, I decided to lightly fry the bagel in the pan, with some butter, on med/high heat. I let that cook for about 3 minutes, while I prepared my egg mixture. I used egg whites this time, but whole eggs would have been even yummier and added a thicker, more wholesome taste. Whisk egg whites or two whole eggs. Add the garlic, Mrs. Dash, and two cracks of sea salt. Mix all ingredients well. Then add the spinach, cheese, and sundried tomatoes. Whisk together all ingredients; flip the bagel onto the other side, making sure it’s lightly browned. ( I cheated and used two pans, as I started out with a small pan. I’m not afraid to admit I’m an amateur ;)  Then, pour mixture evenly right over top, making sure to cover all of the bagel part. Let that cook for approximately 3 more minutes and be careful not to let the cheese burn. Top with some fresh tomato sauce and a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese and you are done!   My favorite part about this dish is how the outer layer was nice and toasty, yet the bagel was soft when I bit in. Very similar to a french toast, only not sweet, and a different texture of bread. It blended in wonderfully with the eggs, cheese, and sun dried tomato flavor. This was just a surprising treat to my taste buds and a lesson to myself, to never underestimate even the simplest of combination's.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...